Friday, January 14, 2011

Crème Brûlée

Crème brûlée (French for "burnt cream" also known as burnt cream, crema catalana, or Trinity cream is a dessert consisting of a rich custard base topped with a contrasting layer of hard caramel. It is normally served cold.)

On a whim, I decided to try creme brulee. The ingredients were minimal, but the technique was not. It was a fun challenge. I used a recipe by Paula Deen, and it tasted delicious! The only real challenge was getting the custard just right so that it will set up correctly. If you plan on trying this, make sure you have plenty of time to let it sit in the refrigerator. The directions say up to 24 hours. The longer it sits the better. I also didn't have a torch for browning the top, so I had to use the broiler in the oven. This meant that the dishes had to go back in the refrigerator after browning the sugar. Not a problem per say, just extra time. Here is my finished product!



I garnished with fresh whipped cream and a blackberry. Here is the recipe that I used. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment